Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Frugal Food: Walnut Squares

This is an old fashioned favorite squares recipe sent in by Debbie. It sounds REALLY good - and hey, very frugal at the same time. I'll look into this, but I'm pretty sure that walnuts and other nuts can be frozen to preserve them -- so when you see them on sale at the store, buy a few extra bags. :) In this recipe it really is only the walnuts that are pricey: everything else (flour, egg, brown sugar, salt, baking soda) is very inexpensive.

"This is a recipe handed down from my grandmother to my mother and to me. Our family has been making them for years. A chewy cookie and mmm so good."

Walnut Squares

Beat until foamy - 1 egg
Beat in: 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Sift together and stir in:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. soda
Mix in:
1 cup chopped walnuts

Spread in well greased 8" square pan.
Bake until top has dull crust.
Cut into squares while still warm.
Cool, then remove from pan
Bake 325* 25-30 minutes

No comments: