Friday, May 12, 2006

Frugal Food: Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Make Your Own Chocolate Syrup
Some of the loveliest things happen when you mess up a recipe. :) For instance - today I had a sudden INTENSE craving for chocolate. (Aren't ALL chocolate cravings intense, though? At least mine sure are...) Anyway, I thought: "I'll make some of that chocolate fudge I love."

I only wanted to make a half batch, so I halved all of the ingredients in the recipe EXCEPT (by mistake) for the milk. I kept boiling and boiling and wondered why it wasn't getting to soft-ball stage. :) Duh!

Anyway, I was left with a really gorgeous velvety chocolate sauce/chocolate syrup. It's sweet enough but not overly sweet, which I really love. Here's the recipe for this MISTAKE which turned into a wonderful thing:

1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
few pinches of salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
about 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a heavy large saucepan, combine the cocoa, sugar and salt together well. Add the milk and stir with a wooden spoon to blend. Over medium-low heat, heat the mixture until it's boiling. I boiled for about 10 minutes and ended up with a really nice, velvety textured sauce. :)

Store in a covered container in the fridge. Would also be fantastic in a glass of milk for easy chocolate milk OR used as a dessert sauce on plain cheesecake. YUM!

No comments: